Semester abroad for semiotics MA students
Studying semiotics in Tartu can already be an international experience. A semester of study mobility can add to it even more international experience, a focus on other topics or approaches in semiotics or a wider scope of related fields.
Semester abroad in Semiotics curriculum
Learning mobility is an elective part of the curriculum. You can substitute one course from each module of specialized courses (cultural, socio- and biosemiotics) with elective courses and among elective courses you have the option of studies in mobility (see also the schema). In addition, courses followed during mobility can substitute also individual courses in curriculum if there is a correspondence in content. You can graduate at the regular time but with at least 15 ECTS from mobility you can have an extension of studies for a semester (but courses are not read each semester – you need planning and possibly some extra time).
How to plan mobility?
• The best semester for mobility is the 3rd or 4th semester, application process for most of the programs takes place in spring (see here for more information).
• If you study abroad on the last semester your study results probably arrive back to Tartu after the end of the semester and your graduation will therefore be postponed.
• Before mobility it is wise to pass more obligatory courses than required – it makes it easier to be on track for graduation.
• Make agreements with your supervisor about your thesis topic, work plan and ways of communication.
• Try to follow the master’s seminar in distance – besides being obligatory it helps you to keep on track with your studies and research.
• To plan your study abroad, consult with our coordinator of international studies Elli Marie Tragel (tartusemiotics [ät] ut.ee) – about the options, regulations, deadlines and mobility in the context of your studies.
What are the options for study mobility in semiotics?
A full list of our Erasmus+ partners can be found here.
Take notice about the available period, study level and also possible languages of tutition.
Tartu University has also several options besides Erasmus+. See here.