The nominal study period of our PhD program is four years. Like for BA and MA degrees, you will need to fulfill a given amount of ECTS (credit points) to complete your studies, namely 240 ECTS distributed around the four years:
- 165 credits are reserved for work on your thesis, including the defence.
- 15 are for participation in the PhD seminar.
- 30 are for coursework in philosophy. In the case of “Readings in...”, you can choose to take one or more courses actually offered by that Chair (see for example here), or arrange individual work with a member of staff from that Chair. In the case of “Special subject according to individual curriculum”, the topic should be strictly relevant to your thesis.
- 6 credits are for teaching philosophy at university.
- Finally, 12 are for courses in transferable skills, and 12 for optional courses.
See the structure of the philosophy PhD curriculum and the options available (select the most current academic year from the top of the page).
For questions, please contact the PhD Program Manager Francesco Orsi (orsi [ät] ut.ee).